Detroit is back at home for a 2-game homestead starting tonight vs the cellar dwellers, or as they prefer the Columbus Blue Jackets.
If Detroit plays their game and doesn't underestimate the Blue Jackets, something they have been know to do from time to time. We should see the home win streak extend to 16 games.
Puck drops at 7pm on FSD+
Click the jump because you want to. Not because you have to.
What can I say about Columbus other than they exist. Oh yeah, they have a player named Grant Clitsome.
Jimmy Howard and Curtis Sanford should be your goalies for tonight, It's still to early to get any confirmation, but the lines should be the same as they were in Phoenix. Mursak and Commodore may be inserted in place of Kindl and Emmerton.
I hope that Commie gets in the game tonight. It's always nice when a player gets to face his former team. Just think, this time last year he was playing for their AHL affiliate in Springfield. Now he is on the best team in the NHL and they are stuck with Brett Lebda.
Speaking of Brett Lebda. He was signed to a 1-year deal Thursday by Columbus and could very well be making his season debut tonight.
This is him Thursday morning right before his agent called. That's for you Josh.
There aren't really many interesting things to say about tonight's game. The Jackets racked up their payroll this summer to the cap only to see those moves fail, mostly because of injury, and partly because they were bad deals to begin with. James Wisniewski, Jeff Carter, Radek Martinek, Kristian Huselius, R.J. Umberger and Mark Letestu are all on IR.
Pavel Datsyuk has 51 points on the year. That's 1 point behind Henrik Sedin for 2nd, and 4 points behind Evgeny Malkin for the league lead.
Todd Bertuzzi has been on fire with 4 goals and 2 assists in his last 4 games, plus a spectacular Tuzz-O-Rama goal in the shootout the other night. It's not a secret that Bert is one of my favorite players on the team, but I do admit that I was the one saying he didn't belong in the top-6. Well, I eat crow. The Franzen, Datsyuk, Bertuzzi line has been on fire. The size and skill of both Franzen and Bertuzzi is the perfect compliment to Datsyuk's game. Maybe the Tuzz will get goal 300 tonight.
DETROIT RED WINGS TEAM NOTES
DET is 46-12-1-6 all-time vs CLB
DET is 25-5-0-2 all-time on home ice vs CLB
DET has won 15 consecutive home games (franchise record)
DET is 12-for-56 (21.4%) on the PP during 15-game home winning streak
DET is 42-for-50 (84%) on the PK during 15-game home winning streak
DET is 68-3-4 the last 75 times they've scored 4+ goals in a game
A DET player has registered a hat trick against CLB on 3 occasions (most recent: H. Zetterberg, 3/19/08)
15-GAME HOME WIN STREAK
• N. Lidstrom has recorded 5G-7A-12P, +22 rating during DET’s 15-game home winning streak
• H. Zetterberg has recorded 5G-8A-13P during DET's 15-game home winning streak
• J. Franzen has tallied 8G-9A-17P during DET’s 15-game home winning streak
• P. Datsyuk has registered 4G-17A-21P during DET’s 15-game home winning streak
• J. Howard is 18-2-1 (1.61 GAA, .940 SV%, 5 SO) in 21 home starts this season
• V. Filppula has registered 9G-15A-24P in 21 home appearances this season
• J. Howard is 5-0-0 (1.38 GAA, .951 SV%, 1 SO) in 5 intradivisional home starts this season
• V. Filppula has tallied 6G-8A-14P in 11 intradivisional games this season
DETROIT RED WINGS PLAYER NOTES
• N. Lidstrom is skating in his 212th straight regular season game (longest active streak on DET)
• N. Lidstrom is 2 assists behind P. Esposito for 21st place in NHL history (873)
• T. Bertuzzi made his DET debut vs. CLB on 3/22/07
• T. Bertuzzi has tallied 4G-2A-6P in his last 4 games
• J. Howard leads the NHL in victories (28) and is on pace to tie M. Brodeur's NHL record for wins in a season (48)
• J. Howard is 9-2-0 (1.44 GAA, .939 SV%, 2 SO) in 11 Saturday starts this season
• J. Howard's next GP will tie him with P. Lopresti for 22nd place in NHL history amongst American-born goalies (175)
• J. Abdelkader made his NHL debut vs CLB on 4/3/08
• V. Filppula has tallied 5G-5A-10P in his last 8 games vs CLB
• J. Franzen's next goal will tie him with M. Dionne and M. Bruneteau for 27th place in DET team history (139)
• P. Datsyuk's next goal will tie him with S. Samsonov for 10th place all-time in NHL history amongst Russian-born players (235)
• P. Datsyuk's next assist will tie him with J. Lemaire and D. Prentice for 151st place in NHL history (469)
• P. Datsyuk is 2 assists behind A. Zhamnov for 8th place all-time in NHL history amongst Russian-born players (470)
• J. Franzen recorded his 1st career NHL assist vs CLB (goal by M. Schneider)
too bad i couldnt make it to the game tonight. i would love to pile the misery on for the handful of fools that will show up from columbus.
"J. Franzen recorded his 1st career NHL assist vs CLB (goal by M. Schneider)"
Whatever happened to Schneider? I really liked his game when he played for us and was really sad when he left yet a bit happy when his game just absolutely failed without Detroit. Schadenfreude?
He left and went to Anaheim, had a pretty good year with them then flopped around in Atlanta and Montreal. Before he retired he signed with the Canucks and had a rough time with management before they sent him down to the minors only to resurface with the Coyotes for a short push in the 09-10 playoffs where Detroit ended them @teddywings
Wisniewski can suck it! That DBag was saying that Detroit underpays players. Well...go ahead and get waaaay overpaid and be a bottom feeder for the rest of your contract! Ass-hat! I will take Ian White any day! Wisniewski is garbage!
The pure irony of Lil John wearing a Blue Jackets jersey with his arm resting on the cup makes me laugh.