Detroit makes their first trip to the music city tonight to face the Nashville Predators. The puck drops at 8 pm on FSD
The first and only meeting so far this season was back on November 26th, Detroit won by a score of 4-1 with Valtteri Filppula putting up 2 goals and an assist on 3 shots.
Click the Jump for the goods
The big news that broke this morning via TWITTER! (#getchrisontwitter) is that the Wings have recalled Tomas Tatar and placed Chris Conner on short term injured reserve with a hand injury. Conner has been really impressive in his few games with the Wings this season and we all wish him a fast recovery.
Tatar was recalled for insurance purposes and is not guaranteed to crack the lineup tonight, a yet to be named player is nursing a minor injury, and could sit out tonight’s game making way for Tatar to make his season debut.
Nashville has been a thorn in our sides since they joined the league back in 1998, whether it was Tomas Vokoun or Pekka Rinne their goalies seem to elevate their play when the Wings enter the building.
The big story for the Preds this year is the emergence of rookie forward Craig Smith. Smith leads the Predators in scoring with 23 points (8 G, 15 A), not only is he pacing Nashville, he is tied for 2nd with Devils forward Adam Henrique in rookie scoring and leads all rookies with 4 power play goals.
Weber and Suter will continue their auditions to be the next big name Detroit defenseman tonight (I’d rather have Suter) both have nearly identical totals.
• The Predators have played in eight straight one-goal games –they are 5-3-0 in those contests.
• Nashville is 3-1-2 against the Central Division this season.
• Shea Weber has posted 13 points (5g-8a) in Nashville’s last 15 games. Weber’s defensive partner, Ryan Suter has 12 points (2g-10a) in his last 15 games.
• Colin Wilson has seven points (3g-4a) in his last six games.
• David Legwand has five points (2g-3a) in the Predators’ last six games.
• Jordin Tootoo has eight points (4g-4a) in his last nine games.
• Mike Fisher has won nearly 60 percent (80 of 129) of his face-offs in the last seven games.
• The Predators are 11-1-2 when holding their opponent to two goals or less.
• Pekka Rinne’s 13 wins this season tie him for fifth in the League. He paces the League in saves (747), and ranks second among goalies in shots against (811) and minutes played (1,521:20).
• In their 15 victories this season, the Predators have received game-winning goals from 12 different players. Colin Wilson (3) and Nick Spaling (2) are the only players with multiple game-winning goals
• Detroit is 44-21-4-7 all-time vs Nashville
• Detroit is 18-15-2-2 all-time at Nashville
• Detroit is 2-2-0 in Thursday games this season
• Detroit is 64-3-4 the last 71 times they've scored 4+ goals in a game
• Henrik Zetterberg has recorded 7G-21A-28P in his last 28 Thursday games
• Pavel Datsyuk has registered 7G-12A-19P in his last 13 games played
• Pavel Datsyuk's next assist will tie him with Doug Harvey and Eddie Olczyk for 170th place in NHL history (452)
• Valtteri Filppula is on pace to tally 28G-43A-71P this season
• Tomas Holmstrom's next PPG will give him sole possession of 4th place in DET team history (currently tied with Sergei Fedorov, 117)
• Nick Lidstrom is 2 points behind Bernie Federko for 50th place in NHL history (1130)
• Nick Lidstrom is 4 assists behind Phil Esposito for 21st place in NHL history (873)
• Dan Cleary's next point will tie him with Keith Primeau and Martin Lapointe for 45th place in team history (230)
• Johan Franzen is on pace to register 39G-42A-81P this season
• Johan Franzen has tallied 12G-11A-23P in 22 intraconference games this season
• Jimmy Howard is on pace to record 51 victories this season (NHL record - 48, Martin Brodeur)
I've been looking for some Predators quotes, but there fans don’t seem to know that there is a game going on. So I’ll leave you with this.
Tennessee has what is called a professional privilege tax that taxes athletes $2,500 per game with an annual limit of $7,500. Brian Rafalski had a tiff about this last season but it didn't garner much attention at the time. Rafalski had figured that after federal and state taxes, plus the escrow each player pays out, 17 players on Detroit’s roster would actually be paying to play each time they visited Tennessee.Check back later for lineups
I hope Conner heals up fast, but I can't complain about Tatar. Plus I always like when we play Nashville, I have a lot of family in Tennessee. Also their uniforms this year are pretty dang awesome. And since the game is in Nashville there is a possibility to see Carrie Underwood, which is cool because.....you know.....she's hot.
Nashville should be wearing their gold uniforms tonight. Tatar will fill in nicely i'm sure, I do really like Conner and think he has earned that spot with his play over the last few games.
Carrie Underwood is beautiful for sure, but i'll stop my commenting right there for undisclosed reasons