Detroit lost last night, oh well it happens. The team played weak as a whole and came up short.
Lets move on to the Flames. This should be an easy win for the Wings, and a good Christmas present to the fans.
Click the jump for more
The Flames may have beat the Wild in a 2-1 snoozefest on Tuesday night, but they are also 1-2-2 in their last 5. To put it simple, the Flames are a mess. Olli Jokinen, not Iginla leads the team in scoring with 28 points, their defense rarely joins the rush as evident by their 9 total goals scored this season. Kiprusoff has struggled, possibly due to age and playing 70 games a season.
Detroit has had a rough go of it so far in Canada, even though they won against Edmonton that game should have been broken wide open in the same fashion as they did with the Kings.
A slow start is just what the Wings must avoid tonight, this is not the time to start slumping as we have 3, count them, 3 games against the Blackhawks coming up in the next few weeks that we MUST WIN.
DETROIT RED WINGS TEAM NOTES
• DET is 67-61-16-1 all-time vs CGY
• DET is 27-39-6-0 all-time at CGY
• DET leads the NHL in PIM/Game (8.5)
• DET is 2nd in the NHL in skater plus/minus (+28)
• DET is 2nd in the NHL in SOG/Game (33.8) and 2nd in SOG Against/Game (27.1)
• DET is T-3rd in the NHL in Goals/Game (3.3) and 5th in GA/Game (2.3)
• DET is 6-2-0 vs Canadian-based teams this season
• DET is 65-3-4 the last 72 times they've scored 4+ goals in a game
DETROIT RED WINGS PLAYER NOTES
• D. Cleary has registered 10GP-4G-6A-10P, +9 rating in the month of December
• D. Helm has recorded 0G-6A-6P, +4 rating in his last 6 games played
• I. White has tallied 0G-4A-4P in 4 Thursday games this season
• I. White is T-1st in the NHL in plus/minus (+22)
• P. Datsyuk is 2nd in the NHL in takeaways (45)
• P. Datsyuk is T-8th in the NHL in assists (24) and T-16th in points (34)
• P. Datsyuk has registered 0G-5A-5P in 5 Thursday games this season
• N. Lidstrom has tallied 9G-22A-31P in his last 32 games vs Northwest Division teams
• N. Lidstrom's next SHG will tie him with N. Libbett for 9th place in DET team history (11)
• N. Lidstrom has skated in 197 consecutive regular season games (longest active streak on DET)
• N. Lidstrom's next point will give him sole possession of 50th place in NHL history (currently tied with B. Federko, 1130)
• N. Lidstrom is 3 assists behind P. Esposito for 21st place in NHL history (873)
• N. Lidstrom is T-6th in the NHL in scoring by a defenseman (7G-15A-22P)
• N. Kronwall ranks 5th in the NHL in blocked shots with 84
• J. Franzen leads the NHL in GWG (6) and ranks 2nd in PPG (9)
• B. Stuart is T-15th in the NHL in hits by a defenseman (75)
DETROIT IN BACK-TO-BACK GAMES THIS SEASON:
Record in 1st Game: 5-2-0
Record in 2nd Game: 4-2-0
DETROIT IN BACK-TO-BACK GAMES LAST SEASON:
Record in 1st Game: 11-1-2
Record in 2nd Game: 9-4-1
ALL-TIME RED WINGS HAT TRICKS VS. FLAMES:
M. Foligno vs CGY, Oct. 29, 1981
J. Ogrodnick vs CGY, Oct. 29, 1981
J. Ogrodnick vs CGY, Dec. 12, 1982
L. Lambert @ CGY, Dec. 28, 1984
R. Sheppard @ CGY, Nov. 12, 1991
S. Yzerman vs CGY, Dec. 3, 1991
S. Yzerman @ CGY, Jan. 26, 1993
S. Fedorov vs CGY, Mar. 1, 1994
B. Shanahan (4) vs CGY, March. 15, 2001
Discuss: The Wings have the space, do they need a top-six forward? Do they have enough offense to realy contend for the cup? It seems they have a glut of defensemen with Commodore and Smith right there to step in, and many teams are looking for NHL caliber D (Philly?). Is it time to pul the trigger?