So here's a few updates and comments from the Red White game today (you can view it here).
- 12:17 - First goal about five minutes in by Brenden Smith, beat Howard down low.
- 12:18 - Osgood made a pretty nice save against Fil on a breakaway.
- 12:18 - Modano looks good out there. Quick and a few nice passes. I'm really impressed with his backchecking so far.
- 12:21 - The lady next to the camera refuses to move her arm whenever it is in the zone.
- 12:22 - Salei looks solid out there, gave it to someone out in front and Ozzie made a nice save.
- 12:24 - Damn Z-Pav-Homer look good.
- 12:24 - Note it is two twenty five minute periods.
- 12:25 - I hear Cleary's name a lot. I think that's good. And Ken Kal is awesome.
- 12:26 - Ok, Osgood (Team Red) just wiffed on a Stuart backhander from the corner. Might have been deflected...but it didn't look good. No replays here. If it wasn't deflected, it was a bad bad goal. 1-1 tie.
- 12:28 - Nick Lidstrom just missed a wide open one-timer.
- 12:30 - Ken Kal just said that Frazen had a point in every playoff game last year. Is that true?
- 12:31 - Brenden Smith is all over the ice. He's had like 3 quality scoring chances.
- 12:33 - Lidstrom just had a breakaway? Howard saved his sorta weak backhand.
- 12:34 - Dats again is dominating. Haven't noticed Hudler or Franzen yet.
- 12:35 - First period ends, 1-1 tie.
- 12:35 - Anyone having trouble with our website? It seems to be cut into two...
- 12:36 - Brenden Smith was named the best player of the first period by KK. 15-11 shots so far, Red Wings leading.
Missed the first 10 minutes of the period because of internet problems...
- 1:20 15 skated past the D to fire it past MacDonald. 3-2 Red. Not sure who 15 is, looked good though. Kindl had a goal sometime here too.
- 1:21 Cleary with a burst of speed sniped one past McCollum. He looks good tonight. Cleary that is. 3-3.
- 1:23 Zetterberg/Dats/Homer/Smith put on a show, keeping it in the white zone for at least a minute until Zetterberg finally scored.
- 1:24 Modano had a chance to shot and tie it, but passed to Stuart who had his shot blocked. Should have shot that.
- 1:25 Ericsson just literally gave Helm a goal. Terrible back pass that just sat in front of MacDonald. Helm just fired it past. 5-3 Red.
- 1:25 The goaltending has to be better for the Griffs this year. Neither Joey D or McCollum looks good.
- 1:26 Final horn sounds, 5-3 win. Fun just to be watching hockey again.
So in the end, here's a quick rundown of what I saw.
The Flying Circus looked amazing. Honestly, Bertuzzi and Fil looked great too, didn't see a lot out of the Mule, but I trust it is still there. Love the second line. The third line had its moments. Cleary looked the best I've seen in more than a year, Modano looked solid, if a little uncertain at times, but Hudler was invisible out there. Miller and Eaves stood out tonight as well. Other than the goal, I didn't hear much about Helm.
For the D, Lidstrom was all over the ice, he clearly was having fun out there. Same with Stuart, who looked great. Ericsson looked just terrible, he had his pocket picked multiple times and handed Helm an easy one. Smith looked great. Honestly, he might have had the most scoring chances of anyone out there. Kindl looked good as well. It is going to be interesting.
In net, Howard was solid as could be, and honestly, so was Ozzie, minus the one goal. (It was deflected, they changed the goal to Mursak). He'll have to be if our Grand Rapids tenders play like they did here, as they looked a good step behind the play at all times.
Overall though, I'd say it looked good for a fun scrimmage. Great to have hockey back on the screen, even if it is my computer screen.